Friday, July 15, 2011

Tool # 8 - Taking a Look at the Tools!

Tool # 8 was all about reviewing the new technology that all classrooms will be receiving by 2012.  It is very exciting to see SBISD investing in our student's future in such a positive way through the use of all this new technology.  I'm sure we are probably one of only a few districts taking on this initiative toward our student's future.  I like the idea of having the Dell Notebook in the classroom.  It appears to offer most of  what the desktop does except it is smaller and more compact and doesn't take up as much room in the classroom.  I also like the option of the webcam to use for videos.  I was already aware of the iPod touch/iPad.  We were fortunate to already have these tools in our library and since I have worked our Family Library Night I have been exposed to the iPod touch/iPad.  I didn't know that it had to be tied into I-tunes in order to download applications and I need to experiment with the iPod touch I checked out this summer and practice downloading applications that I can use in my classroom this next school year.  As far as classroom management with these new computers, it is important to slowly introduce the notebooks and iPods to the students through workstations.  It's also a good idea to assign as a classroom job removing the devices from the charging stations and returning them in the afternoon.  That person could also be responsible for reporting any technology issues to me that need to be addressed.  Depending on what I have in my classroom, I plan on taking a couple of weeks letting the kids explore and play with the devices.  They will probably be able to teach me more than I can teach them!

Now on to tool # 9 - 3 more to go Woo Hoo!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment